Thursday, October 11, 2007

SneakerFreaker


It's been a while since I really had a thing for sneakers. For a while there in the late 90s everyone had to have a pair of "trainers" in order to be an official indie hipster. In those days it was VANS mostly. Those soft velvety ones made from suede - ideally in bottle green or navy.

Then, the other day I saw this girl in a magazine with a pair of seriously old skool Nike Air on her feet and I just haven't been able to shake the thought from my head. And so, I hit ebay and I found a pair with the old skool attitude but all the ker-ching of our modern bling crazy era. I think I might need to own these - and wear them with a pair of gold lame hotpants just for the fun of living out some kind of bad taste hoochie mamma block party in my loungeroom. These shoes don't rock, they (pimp)roll...

As it turns out, Nike have just released a whole heap of new sneakers designed to evoke an even older nostalgia for 70s running shoes. And I'm pleased to see my new sneaker obsession is not unique.

No comments: